Operations Supervisor, 2nd shift
- Aug 16, 2019
- Customer Service : General Customer Service
Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have at MSC Industrial Supply Co., a leading North American distributor of metalworking and maintenance, repair, and operations (MRO) products and services. Watch HERE to find out why you should work at MSC and join us as we continue to build a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Requisition ID : 3301
Employment Type : Full Time
Job Category : Warehouse / Distribution
Work Location : Columbus, OH (Whse)
State or Province : Ohio (US-OH)
Potential Work Location : United States : Ohio : Columbus
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises department to ensure optimum service levels are maintained.
- Monitors progress via RE (reasonable expectancies) sheet, errors, disciplinary action, attendance, etc.
- Monitors error rates, processes error exceptions and taken corrective action.
- Monitors items for accuracy, correct quantity, correct item, etc., prior to leaving department. Performs random sampling, as necessary.
- Monitors facility for security purposes, a safe work environment, and cleanliness and monitors truck log.
- Identifies problems and creates solutions regarding item and associate issues.
- Researches and resolves calls received from various departments.
- Operates basic and advanced warehouse vehicles (i.e., electric pallet jack, forklift, turret truck and/or order picker).
- Ensures all codes are scannable and in the MSC system to prevent extra coding efforts.
- Performs all duties inherent in the role of MSC Supervisor as defined in the MSC Code of Conduct including hiring, termination, review and development of associates.
- Develops and monitors schedules for all unit specific deliveries.
- Evaluates spend-a-day candidates on departmental procedures and monitors their progress.
- Delegates to/through work team coach to ensure smooth processes flow.
- Promotes safe work practices.
- Operates basic and advanced warehouse vehicles.
- Supports associate involvement in safety through team engagement in the Safety Culture.
- Actively engages in continuous improvement efforts within the department using assessment tools to mitigate risk.
- Prepares “at-docks” by documenting items that enter the distribution center (tagging items with date, assigning a receiving report to the document, etc.)
- Releases items from the “PQC hold” by examining those items that require a quality assurance inspection.
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues with vendors who supply incorrect bar codes, wrong items, etc.
- Loads, unloads moves product by hand and/or skid.
- Visually inspects boxes for damage or improper packaging.
- Fosters the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure unity of purpose and fulfillment of MSC’s mission.
- Orders supplies, as necessary for the department.
- Assists other departments when required.
- In order to meet customer service requirements, associates can be temporarily re-assigned to other warehouse functions.
- Participates in special projects and performs additional duties as required.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Vocational or technical school diploma or the equivalent required.
- Two years of job-related experience.
- Must obtain MSC license to drive warehouse vehicles within specified time requirements.
- Knowledge of receiving process required.
- Knowledge of tools required.
- Knowledge of AS/400 system required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Bending to lift items from the floor and racks required.
- Lifting items between 25 and 50 pounds required.
- Ability to operate at heights up to 50 feet required.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time required.
- Position may require a valid states driver’s license.
People. Collaboration. Insight. That’s how you build something that works.
Built on a foundation of trust, MSC works side by side with our customers to help them drive business results. With more than one million product offerings and 75+ years of experience across industries, MSC strives to help our customers achieve greater productivity, profitability, and growth through inventory management and other innovative supply chain solutions.
We care about our associates and have programs in place to help our 6,500+ team members achieve their potential. When you join our team, you will receive rewards and recognition for your contributions, training and professional development opportunities, as well as a variety of benefits to support you and your family's health, well-being, and financial future.
If you are inspired to learn, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Equal Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.