Route Manager At Waste Management
- Feb 09, 2018
- Skilled Trades : General Skilled Trades
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Waste Management is looking for a Route Manager to join their team in Greencastle, PA. As a Route Manager, you will manage the collection routes and driver/laborer performance on a daily basis in multiple line of businesses: Residential, Commercial and Roll-Off.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities. Coordinates daily operational needs with Maintenance team.
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
- Manages the end-of-day check-in process, capturing and communicating key service, safety, and equipment issues.
- Monitors driver and laborer time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring that drivers do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies (e.g., 60 hour rule).
- Reviews weekly demand / volume for routes, determines potential gains from re-routing, and recommends re-routes to the routing specialist.
- Sets and monitors productivity, service, and safety targets for each route and driver.
- Assists with data collection and reporting required for incentive pay programs.
- Promotes a union free atmosphere and where appropriate, establishes collaborative relations with unions.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
- Acquires and coordinates temporary workers assigned to assist drivers on routes.
- Ensures that drivers comply with physicals, drug or alcohol tests, and training required by regulatory agencies.
- Conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve safety issues, seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains a clean, safe work environment in compliance with Company/Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards.
- Documents problem fixes and provides instructions to dispatch/service should problems recur.
- Communicates and follows-up on sales opportunities, problems at customer site, DVIR repairs, container swaps, and safety issues reported by drivers.
- Notifies customer service of delivery days for specific areas.
- Ensures set-up errors and missed pickups are reported and resolved.
- Documents and maintains records required by regulatory agencies such as the Department of Transportation.
- Reviews and audits documentation related to route operations on a daily basis (e.g., DVIRs, driver time and attendance, open tickets), following-up where appropriate.
This job has supervisory responsibilities for Drivers assigned to the position. This includes responsibility for employee performance reviews and feedback, scheduling time off, employee grievances or complaints, pay changes and job responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Education: Associates Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 2 years of relevant work experience in transportation, logistics, or solid waste operations in which coaching, routing assessments and leading employees were requirements of the role.
Experience: No experience required (in addition to education requirement).
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting and/or landfill/outdoor.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.