Scientific Director, US Medical Affairs, Myeloid - Veteran's Welcome
- Aug 31, 2017
- Healthcare : General Healthcare
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Scientific Director, US Medical Affairs will report to the Executive Director, US Disease Lead (Myeloid). He/she will be headquarters based, and will provide scientific/medical leadership and support for compounds in various stages of clinical development, as well as approved products in that therapeutic area. This individual will support the design and implementation of a strategic disease area medical plan, under the direction of the US Disease Lead, and in coordination with the US Franchise Team. They will serve as the Biology/Pathway disease expert. They will also take a leadership role for the execution/support of Celgene sponsored medical affairs trials (as needed) and registries and will also assist in the evaluation and support of investigator-initiated trials. He/she will represent US Medical Affairs as needed on behalf of the US Disease Lead, serving as a therapeutic area expert in scientific, strategic and tactical discussions and presentations with internal colleagues, including the G3M, as well as with external experts and investigators.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Collaborate with Medical Affairs colleagues to guide and execute therapeutic area strategy and tactics with appropriate use of resources
2. Assist US Disease Lead as necessary for various activities of G3M.
3. Represent US Medical Affairs on behalf of the Disease Lead as a therapeutic area expert in both internal and external venues including the G3M, Medical Affairs sub-teams, and advisory boards / steering committees
4. Lead/support various Medical Affairs cross-functional working groups
5. Represent Celgene at professional meetings, congresses, and local symposia.
6. Drive the planning and execution of Medical Affairs Sponsored Trials (MAST) and registries (as needed), within appropriate standards for compliance, quality, timeliness, and budget.
7. Provide high quality scientific/clinical input and review of: disease strategy plans, abstracts, posters, slides, manuscripts, educational materials, webcasts, IIT protocols, Commercial Brand plans, Scientific educational grant requests and patient advocacy grant requests
8. Track priority Medical Affairs tactics and performance to goals/budget
9. Partner with Scientific Communications on developing publication strategy, gap analysis, and key messages
10. Assist with scientific searches, data summaries, preparation for site visits/corporate visits/payor presentations
11. Interaction with key stakeholders, as a scientific and strategic expert:
o Medical Affairs partners in therapeutic area
o Global Medical Affairs Leadership
o Market Access
o Translational Research
o Regulatory Affairs
o Project Leadership
o Investigators, KOLs
o Global steering committees
o Scientific Advisory Boards
o Advocacy groups
o Cooperative groups
The ideal candidate will have the following mix of characteristics:
• Advanced degree in molecular biology, genomics, cancer biology or other relevant life sciences area.
• Solid experience in clinical /translational research and/or medical affairs in hematology or oncology with 7 -10 years industry experience. Master's degree holders with 10+ years relevant industry experience may also apply.
• Experience in the conduct of clinical trials in hematology/oncology preferred.
• Excellent analytical skills and solid experience in translating medical/clinical information into medical affairs strategies. Experience with mining databases and other bioinformatics skills will be a strong plus.
• Proficiency in scientific and clinical data review and interpretation.
• Matrix leadership of cross-functional teams.
• Strong organization skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentations to large groups, facilitation of interactive discussions, and 1:1 discussions with thought leaders.
• Demonstrated customer focus orientation & credibility with customers.
• Knowledge/application of data sources, reports and tools for the creation of solid plans.
• Possess experience creating and managing budgets
Regular travel will be required (approx 20%)
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.